Auto Answers » Steering & Suspension » Plymouth » Page 2

Plymouth steering & suspension repair questions and answers

Post your Plymouth steering & suspension question or share what you know by answering questions

Browse Plymouth Categories

66 Questions
Sort by:
  • Bare
    Bare - 1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager - Steering & Suspension - 9/13/2012
    Tire wear on outer one inch of tread on front wheels. Is this curable by adjustments or is it a design flaw?
    The outer one inch of tread wears off from the front wheels very fast. I have noted the same wear on many Chrysler mini-vans. I have 14" wheels(205/75r14)
    • rick
      9/13/2012 rick
      It's 15 years old and showing it's age . But should be fine . Might be time for a few new parts and an alignment .
  • Mike
    Mike - 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager - Steering & Suspension - 8/12/2012
    My van is leaking power steering fluid.
    It is not leaking from the pump or the lines. It seems like it is leaking from the rack itself. Are there seals inside the rubber boots that may be leaking?
    • Jimm
      8/12/2012 Jimm
      Yes, the steering rack has seals / o-rings to prevent leakage. You need to purchase a new or rebuild steering rack. Try the many on-line auto parts sources, such as; or for the replacement parts.
      For example, they (Rock Auto) list the replacement steering rack for around $180.00 - or you can try to rebuild the unit you already have - get a good repair manual; such as Haynes or Chilton, and the seal / repair kit for around $22.00.
  • Mark Rainey
    Mark Rainey - 1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager - Steering & Suspension - 8/10/2012
    How to change tie rod ends?
    • Jimm
      8/10/2012 Jimm
      Not difficult to change the tie rod end (outer). First, raise and support the front end - suspend both front wheels off the ground. Next, remove the tie rod end cotter pin (if equipped) and rod end nut. Next, using a tie rod tool (pickle fork) and heavy hammer - remove (separate) the tie rod from the steering knuckle. Loosen the tie rod sleeve and remove the tie rod end - counting the turns. This count will help to install the new tie rod end in the same basic position.
      More difficult to change the inner tie rod end.
      Try the many on-line auto parts sources, such as; or for the replacement parts.
  • ambrose08
    ambrose08 - 1999 Plymouth Neon - Steering & Suspension - 8/9/2012
    My car has a loud squeal/screech when ac is running and when turning. What would cause this
    My car has a loud squeal/screech when ac is running and when I make turns from one extreme to the other. It also had a small gradual oil leak that might possibly be contributing to the problem.
    • Bill
      8/9/2012 Bill
      Need new A/C belt and tightened securely
  • Vicoh
    0 answer
  • phonetag99
    phonetag99 - 1994 Plymouth Grand Voyager - Steering & Suspension - 7/7/2012
    My power steering fluid leaked completely out.
    It's not leaking from the hose/clamp directly below. And it appears on the floor a little farther back than the engine. What are my other other options?
    • raoul_tiesto
      7/7/2012 raoul_tiesto
      I am not familiar with the power steering system setup on your vehicle,but according to your description u may have a power steering rack leak or the hoses near the rack.U need to check under the vehicle to find out whats causing the leak.
      7/7/2012 phonetag99
      Thanks, I'll check tomorrow if I can find ramps.
  • phat pat
    phat pat - 1980 Plymouth Volare - Steering & Suspension - 5/30/2012
    I am looking for a rear axle mounting plate for a 1973 road runner for the rear sway bar.
    0 answer
  • Brad
    Brad - 1995 Plymouth Grand Voyager - Steering & Suspension - 5/6/2012
    How difficult is it to replace the Power Steering Pump?
    The second you try to turn the steering wheel it makes a horrible loud growling noise, fluid shows full, Just started to make noise yesterday. Would it be safe to drive it to a repair shop,(less than a mile away from home? Thank you for you assistance, Brad
    • CVO
      5/6/2012 CVO
      Power Steering Pump
      Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery.
      If applicable, disconnect the vapor hose (canister) from the carburetor.
      Disengage the A/C compressor clutch wire harness connector at the compressor.
      Remove the power steering pump adjustment bolt. Remove the power steering hose bracket from mounting.
      Raise and support the front of the vehicle on jackstands.
      Disconnect the return hose from the steering gear and drain the fluid into a container.
      Remove the right side splash shield if it interferes with pump removal. After the fluid has drained from the pump, disconnect the hoses from the pump.
      Remove the lower pivot bolt and nut from the pump mounting.
      Remove the drive belt. Move the pump to the rear and remove the adjusting bracket.
      Rotate the pump clockwise so that the drive pulley faces the rear of the vehicle. Remove the power steering pump.

      To install:
      Place the pump in position and install it in reverse order of removal. Install new O-ring seal on the pump hoses before installation. Tighten the tube nuts to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm). Refer to belt adjustments in General Information & Maintenance .
      Lower the vehicle, then connect the vapor hose and A/C compressor clutch switch harness..
      Fill the power steering pump reservoir with fluid. Start the engine and turn the steering wheel from stop-to-stop, several times, to bleed the system. check the fluid level.

  • nick
    nick - 1995 Plymouth Neon - Steering & Suspension - 4/10/2012
    How would you change the high pressure line.
  • bip
    bip - 1989 Plymouth Horizon - Steering & Suspension - 4/10/2012
    How to replace balljoints
    needs front end alignment
  • dan17
    dan17 - 2000 Plymouth Grand Voyager - Steering & Suspension - 3/14/2012
    Power steering fluid is leaking from 2 rusty metal lines under the minivan.
    When looking online to purchase power steering pressure hoses I can find only 1 metal line. There is also a black hose available. Under my car I have 2 metal lines that have rusted. How do I find the right part for the second line?
    • Jay Giron
      3/14/2012 Jay Giron
      I will advise you to visit the dealer and they will help you to find the right part for your vehicle.
      If you want to save money you could ask them for the part number and search is on line for a cheaper one.
  • Winston
    Winston - 1980 Plymouth Volare - Steering & Suspension - 2/22/2012
    I have order some Tie rods for my 1972 Plymouth Duster from AUTO MD. the part number does not tell me what the Tie Rods
    are for. (inner or outter tie rods) I have a part number of LTTRES401L, and LTTRES401R
    • Spoon Sports
      2/22/2012 Spoon Sports
      First off AutoMD doesnt sell parts. Second, did you go to that JC Whitney site?

      ANyway, goto this link

      Besides, its easy to tell if tie rods are for the inner or outer if you will be basing it on the picture. Obviously if the picture is wrong then thats another story.

  • damgood
    damgood - 1994 Plymouth Sundance - Steering & Suspension - 11/23/2011
    Replacing pwr. steering pump .pump pulley on or off?
    • HouseCallAuto
      11/23/2011 HouseCallAuto
      Restate your question. As written I have no clue what you are asking.
    • jdl
      11/23/2011 jdl
      I'm not sure I understood your question? Some of the national brand autostores will remove the pulley from old pump and put it on new pump, where applicable.
  • Enchiladeeda
    Enchiladeeda - 1994 Plymouth Sundance - Steering & Suspension - 10/29/2011
    How to hook up power steering lines
    rack and pinion was replaced and person replacing doesn't know which line goes where at steering gearbox. HELP PLEASE. Which line goes to where?
    0 answer
  • Mike
    Mike - 1993 Plymouth Acclaim - Steering & Suspension - 9/18/2011
    Why would my car pull to the right when driving.
    front end has recently been aligned, mechanic mentioned possible worn motor/transmission mounts.
    • HouseCallAuto
      9/18/2011 HouseCallAuto
      If your car is pulling to the right even with your foot off the gas pedal, the cause could be a bad tire. If you have not already done so, rotate the tires front to back, even if the tires are new. See if the pull remains.
      9/18/2011 Bill
      I'm in agreement with HCA
    • Bill
      9/18/2011 Bill
      Or frame bent. These days you never know about all mechanic shops. If pulls when braking, then brakes.