What the P2176 code means?
The P2176 trouble code indicates that the Engine Control Module (ECM) has detected that the throttle body actuator/motor has failed to learn the correct position at which the butterfly valve within the throttle body should be in order to produce a smooth idle for the engine.
What are the causes of the P2176 code?
1. Engine will not start
2. Little or no throttle response
3. Check Engine Light illuminated
4. ABS Light illuminated
5. Automatic transmission will not shift
6. Additional codes are present
What are the symptoms of the P2176 code?
1. Vehicle may stall
2. Vehicle may not start
3. Vehicle may not accelerate well
4. A Check Engine Light will be illuminated
Common mistakes when diagnosing the P2176 code:
Throttle position actuators and sensors are frequently replaced in error when a simple cleaning of the inner throttle bore could have rectified the situation. Drive-by-wire throttle body components are typically not serviceable as individual parts and require replacement of the entire throttle body. Symptoms and stored codes that are present as a reaction to a communication failure are often misdiagnosed and repaired as the cause of the problem. Obviously, this leads to an unsuccessful repair. Engine misfire codes, lean exhaust codes, fuel injector codes, and virtually any other drivability or transmission code that is accompanied by a controller communication code can potentially be a pitfall for misdiagnosis.
What repairs can fix the P2176 code?
1. Reprogramming the Engine Control Module.
2. Cleaning the throttle body.
3. Replacing the throttle body motor.
4. Replacing the MAP sensor.
5. Replacing the throttle position sensor.
6. Repairing or replacing wiring or connectors that are associated with the throttle body.
7. Replacing the Engine Control Module.