What the P0123 code means?
P0123 is the general OBD-II code which signifies that the Engine Control Module (ECM) has see the TPS circuit A output voltage go above the sensor's expected voltage requirement range.
What causes the P0123 code?
• Throttle Pedal Position Sensor not mounted firmly
• Throttle Pedal Position Sensor circuit short to position or another wire
• Faulty Throttle Pedal Position Sensor
• Damaged computer (POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE)
What are the symptoms of the P0123 code?
Likely symptom can include black smoke at startup, poor speeding up, a no start condition, backfire at idle, start and stall, and service engine lamp illumination.
Common mistakes when diagnosing the P0123 code
• Not visually inspecting connections and wiring first
• Not scanning, documenting and clearing codes, then retesting for them to verify failures
• Not confirm and repairing wiring or connector problems after sensor is return
• Replacing the Throttle Pedal Position Sensor sensor without making sure it is the problem
• Not confirm whether the TPS sensor A and B circuit voltages are within requirement before and after fix or replacement.
What repairs can fix the P0123 code?
• Repairing or replacing the Throttle Pedal Position Sensor connector for shorting
• Repairing the wiring short as necessary
• Replacing the Throttle Pedal Position Sensor with a new sensor