» View Question
Lenore

Lenore 9/23/2014

2011 Chevrolet Corvette Base 8 Cyl 6.20L

Transmissions & Drivetrains

Clutch Pedal to the floor

44400 Kim's no previous problems/work performed. Upon starting clutch pedal to the floor - unable to drive. Noted puddle under car. Towed to dealer who says fluid contaminated with oily substance, seals gone, unknown possible damages.
How could fluid become contaminated? Dealer says I contaminated it??? (not possible car stored or watched) And damage is not covered by extended
warrenty. Any ideas what could have happened or what Is wrong?

2 Answers


Kent Cotterell

Kent Cotterell 1/19/2017

I take that you are the original owner and vehicle has never been serviced other than by yourself. Some technician at Jiffy Lube or similar business may have topped off the clutch fluid reservoir with motor oil. Was it contaminated with sand or was it just the incorrect fluid? Adding a little oil to top off the clutch hydraulic system is not a good idea but if only 10% of the system volume was motor oil it still should be okay for a clutch actuator The other 90% of the fluid is still hydraulic oil with the needed seal swelling additives.which will keep the seals tight. The hybrid fluid not being as resistant to foaming as pure hydraulic oil is the biggest issue. If you purchased the vehicle used assume the worst case scenario for how it was treated and maintained by previous owner(s)..

Reply
0
Jimm

Jimm 1/20/2017

Probably contaminated due to some incorrect type of fluid used to refill or top off the fluid level at some point.
Generally speaking, best to avoid dealerships - unless the car is repaired under the warranty. You can purchase these parts and install for a fraction of the dealership cost for the same work.

Try these on-line resources for the replacement parts: www.autopartswarehouse.com, www.partsgeek.com, www.rockauto.com, www.partstrain.com - to list a few.

For example, they (RockAuto) list the replacement clutch master cylinder from around $93.00 and the clutch slave cylinder from around $128.00 for your vehicle.

Clutch master cylinder = SACHS part #SH5536 - or it's equivalent
Clutch slave cylinder = DORMAN part #CS650163 - or it's equivalent

Reply
0

Answer this question

( characters left)

Follow Question

what's this?
advertisement
advertisement