Mercedes-Benz preventive maintenance repair questions and answers
Post your Mercedes-Benz preventive maintenance question or share what you know by answering questions
Browse Mercedes-Benz Categories
Marcellino D'Amrosio - 2006 Mercedes Benz SL500 - Preventive Maintenance - 7/19/2012
7/19/2012 Jimm- Inspect and record tread depth, and correct tire pressure
- Rotate tires (excludes AMG, Sports Models, SLK, and vehicles with staggered wheels)
- Engine oil change and oil filter replacement
-Includes Mobil 1 synthetic oil
- Lubrication service
- Includes hood hinges, lock cylinders, striker
plates, sun roof tracks and top off all fluids
- Cooling system inspection
- Includes antifreeze protection level, hoses and
- Brake inspection
- Includes check of pad thickness and condition of
discs, fluids and lines
- Inspect heating and ventilation dust filter, replace if needed. (Replacement additional. Dust filter prices vary by model)
- Function check
- Includes warning lamps, headlights, exterior
lights, seat belts, windshield wiper and washer
- Inspect and lubricate throttle linkage
- Check and clean air filter
- Reset flexible service system counter
Anything that is not acceptable under Check or Inspect of course costs more to actually repair these items.
So, basically this is a $300 oil change, plus the checking of everything that you should normally do when changing your oil to make sure that your car is in tip top condition, plus a tire rotation and resetting the FSS light.
So if you are pretty handy, have some basic tools, and a repair manual you can easily do this job yourself and save.
cerenato - 1998 Mercedes Benz E320 - Preventive Maintenance - 7/14/2012Engine shakes and check engine on
7/14/2012 JimmP0170 means Fuel Trim Malfunction (Bank 1). P0170 indicates a malfunction in the PCM control of the air-fuel ratio. Bank 1 is the side of an engine that has cylinder 1.
Dirty or defective MAF sensor
Defective fuel pressure regulator
Defective O2 sensor
Oil contamination in the cam/crank sensor wiring or MAF/O2 sensor connector
Clean or replace MAF sensor
Replace fuel regulator
Replace damaged or cracked vacuum hoses
Clean cam/crank sensor wiring or MAF/O2 sensor connector
Replace O2 sensor
P0422 = Main Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
Symptoms of a P0422 DTC may include:
Increased tailpipe emissions
MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) illumination
Potential causes of a P0422 code include:
Bad or non-functional catalyst
Engine operating out of optimal air:fuel ratio
Catalytic converters contain precious metals like platinum, palladium, rhodium among others. Basically, the cheaper the cat, the less precious metals used. It should be noted that there are some automobile makes that are very finicky when it comes to catalytic converters and the logic that the PCM uses to monitor them. Just because the parts guy says it will work doesn't mean that it will. The reason is that the engineering of the vehicle was done with a high quality catalyst in mind and it can't be replaced with a low cost catalyst. There are also different kinds of catalysts. Some makes will allow for a cheaper catalyst while others simply will not.
none - 1998 Mercedes Benz ML320 - Preventive Maintenance - 7/13/2012
allternout - 1986 Mercedes Benz 300E - Preventive Maintenance - 7/10/2012car was garaged for the last 2 years because after replacing the alternator and battery, the same problem continued. Is it possible something else could be contributing to this problem. When checked the present alternator displays low voltages and then high ...
cerenato - 1998 Mercedes Benz E320 - Preventive Maintenance - 7/9/2012I had 4codes reads from my scanners,take care of it one at a time the only left is the po105 can you help me with it? Anyone!
1SucK - 1999 Mercedes Benz S420 - Preventive Maintenance - 7/8/2012Need to know what oil weight to use?
Charlyroae - 2006 Mercedes Benz E350 - Preventive Maintenance - 7/4/2012Change fluid and filter in transmission
bullett - 1997 Mercedes Benz S420 - Preventive Maintenance - 6/30/2012air conditioner stopped blowing all of a sudden, where is the fuse or relay?
6/30/2012 HouseCallAutoheck fuses S and T in the fuse box just to the right of the master cylinder. If the blower motor is not working, try these diagnostic steps I'm listing for you.
1. With the ignition switch in the on position, use a heavy gauge jumper wire to apply ground to the blower motor wire that is not Red. This wire color varies and is not set by the manufacturer. The Red wire should be B+. When a ground is applied at the wire that is not Red at the blower motor, the blower should run at full speed. If the blower does not run during the test, then the motor is defective.
2. If the blower motor runs in the previous step, then test for a good ground at the blower regulator Brown wire and a good B+ at the blower regulator Grey/Red wire. The regulator is mounted to the blower motor case in plain sight.
3. If the previous tests are OK, then using a voltmeter test for voltage at the blower regulator Gray/Green signal wire. This voltage should change as the blower speed is changed at the A/C control. The voltage typically varies around 2 to 6 volts.
4. If the previous tests all pass, the blower regulator is defective.
5. If the blower regulator is defective, it is recommended that the blower motor be replaced at the same time.
Blower motor regulator replacement is recommended anytime a faulty blower motor is replaced, due to the high current stress placed on the blower regulator caused by a failing blower motor.
MITCH - 2003 Mercedes Benz S500 - Preventive Maintenance - 6/23/2012
phil brancat - 2003 Mercedes Benz CLK500 - Preventive Maintenance - 6/22/2012Lack of knowledge
cerenato - 1998 Mercedes Benz E320 - Preventive Maintenance - 6/22/2012Im having all kind of codes and decidedto check the TCM and it's wet is it normal?
pvhenderson - 2000 Mercedes Benz ML320 - Preventive Maintenance - 6/20/2012Blows hot air when I turn in the A/C
jessmram480 - 2003 Mercedes Benz C320 - Preventive Maintenance - 6/18/2012Finally after 4hrs it turned on y did this happen and there was a code it said ESP check manual for details can u help me
kris - 2007 Mercedes Benz R350 - Preventive Maintenance - 6/16/2012
6/16/2012 JimmMercedes service C consists of:
Top off all fluids
AC filter (probably that is the cabin filter)
Suggest you purchase an inexpensive repair manual and learn to do these basics yourself - to save anywhere from $175.00 on up.